Here's a quick run down of the equipment and materials I will be using throughout the tutorials.
I cover all of this in detail plus loads more in the special "techniques" tutorials, included in the free and paid memberships.
I mostly use Hot pressed paper, 300gsm, 425gsm or 640gsm in white (100% cotton is best as it has the most resilience).
I am using the new 'Enhanced Quality' (look for the sticker) Fabriano Artistico extra white 640gsm, I also like the blocks of the 300gsm extra white blocks (but I like to work from back to front by lifting the block from the back board and turning the paper over). I do occassionally use 200lb (425gsm) Saunders Waterford hot pressed.
With the Fabriano (or any paper) trial both sides, I am having some success with both sides of the Fabriano paper, it’s important that you try a few papers (and sides) to find the one that suits you best.
On the lose sheets of Fabriano you can tell if it is the new enhanced make if the watermark goes around two corners.
I also sell, and use regularly, my A5 pads of Bockingford hot pressed paper, as it's good every day paper.
Use scraps to test your colours.
Brushes & Other Equipment
The Billy Showell Fine Tipped Brush No. 1
The Billy Showell Fine Tipped Brush No. 2
The Billy Showell Fine Tipped Brush No. 4
The Billy Showell Fine Tipped Brush No. 6
The Billy Showell Eradicator Brush
The Billy Showell Fine Liner Brush
The Billy Showell Mixing Brush
The Billy Showell Divine Wash Brush
Deckle Edge Ruler - See my store for purchasing paints, brushes and rules
The paints I use are Sennelier, to help those of you who use Winsor & Newton I have created a conversion chart, which you can download by clicking the link below.
To download the paint colour conversion chart please click here.
My Sennelier paint colours
• Sennelier Red Orange 640
• Sennelier Rose Madder Lake 690
• Sennelier Lemon Yellow 501
• Sennelier Phthalocyanine Blue 326
• Sennelier French Ultramarine 314
• Sennelier Red 636
• Sennelier Yellow Deep 579
• Sennelier Helios Purple 671
• Sennelier Dioxazine Purple 917
• Sennelier Quinacridone Gold 599
• Sennelier Cobalt Blue 307
• Sennelier Quinacridone Red 679
• Sennelier Indigo 308
• Sennelier Permanent Magenta 680
• Sennelier Alizarin Crimson 695
Extra colours I will sometimes use but are not included in my set.
• Sennelier Blue Violet 903
• Sennelier Titanium White 116
• Winsor and Newton Opera Rose 448
• Shin Han Bright Violet 652